To eliminate any speculation about Wizz Air policies, in the case of flights cancellations, we present you an extract from the section „Refunds and Compensations” named „Cancellation by Wizz Air” from the company website.
In case of flight cancellation you have the following options according to Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 (the Regulation) establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights.
- We will re-book you to a flight operated by Wizz Air or another airline under comparable transport conditions to your final destination at the earliest opportunity, subject to availability of seats.
- We will refund the Total Fare paid for the cancelled flight, including if applicable the return sector.
- We credit the full value of your payment for the cancelled flight plus 20% of the fare paid for the cancelled flight (also for the return sector if applicable) on your WIZZ Account. This credit can be used towards any Wizz Air flight.
Apart from any of the abovementioned options we will facilitate two telephone calls (alternatively you can choose telex, fax, or email) free of charge, or where it is not feasible for Wizz Air to provide you with these opportunities, we will reimburse the costs of such communications.
In the event of re-routing, when the time of departure of the new flight is the day after the departure as it was planned for the cancelled flight arrange hotel accommodation and transport between the airport and place of accommodation free of charge. Where it is not feasible for Wizz Air to provide you with such care, we will refund the costs of meal, hotel accommodation and the transport between the airport and place of accommodation.
Please note that the refund of the costs for assistance specified above is up to a reasonable amount, as supported by invoice(s).
Additionally Wizz Air will pay compensation according to Article 7 of the Regulation:
Amount of 250 EUR for a distance 1500 km or less.
If you are offered a new flight and the arrival time does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of your booked flight by 2 hours this amount will be reduced by 50%.
Amount of 400 EUR distance between 1500 and 3500 km.
If you are offered a new flight and the arrival time does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of you booked flight by 3 hours this amount will be reduced by 50%.
Amount of 600 EUR distance over 6500 km.
If you are offered a new flight and the arrival time does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of you booked flight by 4 hours this amount will be reduced by 50%.
The above compensation shall not be paid if you were informed about the cancellation:
- 2 weeks before Scheduled Time of Departure time (STD);
- between 2 weeks and 7 days before STD and an alternative Wizz Air flight is offered to you, the departure time of which is not more than two hours before the STD and the arrival time is less than four hours after the Scheduled Time of Arrival (STA);
- less than 7 days before STD and an alternative Wizz Air flight is offered to you, the departure time of which is not more than one hour before the STD and the arrival time is less than 2 hours after STA.
Please note that we shall not be obliged to pay the compensation if the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
Extraordinary circumstances refers to, but is not limited to, the following reasons: air traffic control, weather, industrial action (other than industrial action by Wizz Air employees), terrorist alert or security reason, airport or runway closure, civil unrest, acts of God, flight safety reasons.
Each case will be evaluated individually to determine whether the unavoidable extraordinary circumstance exists.
If you have any complaints related to the implementation of your rights under the Regulation, you may contact the National Enforcement Body for your place of departure (http://apr.europa.eu).
The link where this information can be viewed is: